As you know sambhar is one of the delicious dish in the south indian main course meal, preparation of Capsicum Sambhar is slightly different from the ususal method. To add more taste to the sambhar we include yellow split moong dal (aca paasi paruppu).
Lets get into the recipe and see how we can prepare this capsicum sambhar....
1/4 Cup Tuvar Dal (Arhar Dal)
1/4 Cup Moong Dal (yellow split dal)
1 Red Chilly
2 Green Chiles
5 to 6 Shallots or Small Onions
Green Capsicum (medium sized)- 2 chopped into medium sized pieces
Tomato - 1 cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp Methi Seeds
11/2 tsp Sambhar powder
Curry leaves, a few
Hing (Asafetida), a small pinch
Salt 1 tsp (to taste)
Gingelly Oil (aca Sesame/Til Oil) - 2tsp
2 tsp Mustard
1/4 cup Tamarind Pulp
Coriander Leaves - Few for garnishing
Water - 1 cup
- Pressure Cook thuvar dal & moong dal with extra water. Add a pinch of turmeric and a drop of oil before cooking the dal.
- Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, then add methi, red chiili, green chiies, curry leaves, asafoetida , small onions and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add chopped capsicum, saute for few minutes until it is 1/2 cooked. Add tomato pieces and cook for about 3 to 4 mins.
- Now add sambhar powder, tamrind pulp, salt, water and bring it to boil.
- Add the cooked dal and pressure cook the sambhar for 1 whistle. After its done boil the sambhar for 10 mins approximately while stirring inbetween.
- Finally garnish the sambhar with coriander leaves.
Capsicum Sambhar is ready to be served. Enjoy with plain rice or dosa or pongal or idli etc,
Tips:If you don't like pressure cooking the sambhar, you can let capsicum cook in the tamrind pulp until it is soft (step 4).
Keep the flame in medium throughout the cooking, as it will enhance the taste of the dish.
Seasoning the samhbar with gingelly oil (aca sesame oil/til oil) will again improve the taste of the dish.
You can add Red, Yellow or Green Capsicum to give the Sambhar colourful look.
In the same way you can cook sambhar with other vegetables like egg plant, mixed vegetables, okra.