1. Black Eye Pea/karamani - 1 cup
2. Garlic - 3 pods
3. White sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
4. Extra virgin Olive oil - 1 tbsp
5. Salt - to taste
6. Black pepper or Paprika - a pinch (optional)
1. Soak Karamani/Pea overnight. Cook the lentil in the pressure cooker for one whistle.
2. Let the lentil cool until it passes the room temperature. You can even keep the lentil in the fridge for 1 hr.
3. Drain the excess water from the lentil & let it dry for few minutes until you get the other things ready.
4. Dry toss the sesame seeds until it turns light brown colour.
5. In a blender/food processor jar take the lentil, garlic, roasted sesame seeds, salt, olive oil, salt, & pepper; grind into a fine paste. Add some of the water drained from lentil to make a fine paste.
Important tip- store the dip in an airtight container. It keeps fresh only for upto 4 days maximum one week. It is best to prepare fresh when required.
1. Adjust the dip consistency with the drained lentil stock (water) as per your desire, but don't make it too runny or too thick.
2. Black eyed pea is fully packed with protein, vitamin & calcium. Spread this dip on chapathis, roll it and enjoy the healthy roll for lunch or dinner.
1. You can also cook it in a saucepan.
2. The cooked lentil should be crunchy i.e you should still be able to break it using your fingers.
Please don't hesitate to post your questions or comments about the recipe.