Saturday, May 18, 2019

Quick Chicken Puffs

Hi There! It's been ages since I posted a recipe in my blog. For the past few years I tend to take too many breaks frequently from my usual chores. In 2019, I am slowly taking baby steps to come out of this melancholy type of breaks! Well, to cheer the mood up, I have decided to start my blog post with an awesomely quick recipe - Quick Chicken Puffs! If you know me, you know that I eat only vegetarian food. However I do have some non-veg eaters in family, and I cook it for them. Being a quality home cooked food lover, and a mother means that you've to definitely come out of the comfort zone to take care of others. And the moment your cooked food bring a smile over their face, it's what I call a "Bliss" to watch!

For the past two years I have joined and been learning OPOS cooking method from the legend great Mr. Ramakrishnan from Chennai. The innovative inventor of OPOS and "Pride of TamilNadu". I am proud to be part of his awesome group and the opportunity to learn the life changing OPOS cooking method is a boon to many people like me. I owe my endless gratitude to this awesome man and all I can do is bow my head and say "Thalaiva you're great"!!

This Chicken Puffs could be a great morning tea or afternoon tea or evening snacks for adults and kids. I came up with this quick version for my family as they're sport stars who always prefer quick, and easy food items "on-the-go" type which satisfies the hunger, and also gives them energy during practice/match sessions.



For this recipe I used OPOS method caramelised onions. OPOS is a cooking method which needs to be learnt properly starting from standardising the 2L Pressure Baker, and following the lesson patterns without any cheating. A google search of the OPOS method of cooking will explain you every details, so I apologise that I am not going to get into the technical details of it now. Okay, let me get back to the recipe which I promised to share in this post.

Quick Chicken Puffs Recipe to follow:

Ingredients

Readily rolled frozen Puff Pastry Sheet - 1
Caramelised Onions - 1 cup
Roasted Chicken (shredded into small pieces) - 2 cups
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To taste
Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - 2 tbsp
Curry leaves (finely chopped) - a spring

Method

1. Thaw the puff pastry sheet as per the instruction given on the product. I used Pampas frozen puff pastry sheet.
2. In a bowl take caramelised onions, shredded chicken, chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, coriander leaves, curry leaves and mix well until spices are thoroughly coated. Careful not to over do it though!
3. Place 2 big scoops of chicken mixture (vertically) onto the thawed puff pastry, roll it and seal the edges.



4. Cut the rolled puffs (horizontally) to make medium bite size pieces. On top of the puff pastry give it a melted butter wash (be generous).
5. Bake the puffs in 200 degree Celcius (or as per the instruction given in your product) for 15 to 20 mins until it turns golden brown. Timings vary for each oven, so it'd be a good idea to keep an eye out for the puffs after 15 mins.
6. When it's golden brown, remove from oven and let it warm down a bit before serving.

Variation Notes

1. You can add cheddar or mozarella cheese, fetta, or paneer to the chicken mixture for a cheesy flavour;
2. You can completely avoid the spices and use just the main ingredients;
3. You can omit the caramelised onions and just use plain roasted chicken along with spices;
4. Chicken can be replaced with any other meat/vegetables;
5. The chicken filling can also be used to make a quick wrap (frankie or chapathi wrap)


Hope you like the recipe and if you do try making the recipe please don't forget to add your photos & comments for this post.

Have an awesome day!





No comments: