It was my mother-in-law, one morning, who started the idea of making chutney with zucchini. I usually make dal with the zucchini, so I asked her to give a try. And there happened the unexpected thing, the chutney was tasting awesome. The pot was empty in no time. So I decided its a must share recipe & get you to try and post the comments.
It can be relished as a side for idli, dosa, roti, toasted bread, or even with crisps.
Zucchini - 2 nos
Green chillies - 6 to 7
Tamarind - 2 tbsp or use t/paste - 1/4 tbsp
Urid dal - 1 1/2 tbsp
Garlic - 2 to 3 pieces
Oil - 1 tbsp (pref sesame seed oil)
Salt - to taste
1. Slice or chop the zucchini into big pieces;
2. Heat a pan on the stove, pour oil;
3. When oil is warm, add urid dal and roast it until it turns to golden brown colour;
4. Now add tamarind, cook for 2 mins in medium heat;
5. Next, add zucchini, green chillies, garlic, salt and sauté until the vegetable is half done;
6. Remove from heat & let it cool;
7. Grind to a coarse or smooth paste as per your taste.
1. You can add curry leaves and coriander leaves to add more flavor.
2. Try adding pine nuts instead of urid dal.
3. Use a sour tomato in replacement of tamarind or add lime juice at the end.