Cashew nut is always my weakness. It is my favorite snack. We mostly use cashew nuts for making curry/gravy dishes or as a seasoning for the rice & other main dishes. For a different taste today I wanted to try and create cashew nut chutney. Can you guess how it tasted?? It was looking & tasting beautiful, smooth, creamy and spicy too. So I decided to share the recipe with everyone.
Here goes the recipe.
1. Cashew nuts - 1/4 cup
2. Dry Red Chillies - 3
3. Split Urid Dhal - 1 tbsp
4. Garlic - 2 pods
5. Oil - 1 tsp
6. Salt - to taste
7. Water - to grind chutney
8. Curry leaves - to garnish
1. In a heavy bottomed pan heat oil, add split urid dhal and fry till it turns golden brown.
2. Add dry red chillies, & garlic pods sauté for few seconds.
3. At last add cashew nuts & roast the nuts until it turns to light brown colour. Quickly remove from heat.
4. Get the mixture to room temperature and blend it dry until the cashews are 3/4th powdered.
5. Add 1/2 cup water, and salt to the powder and blend it to smooth thin paste. Adjust water to your preferred consistency.
6. Check for salt & adjust according to your taste.
7. Season the chutney with curry leaves and serve with dosa or idli.
This chutney should be a bit spicy because cashew nuts naturally give a mild sweet flavor to the dish. The reason for adding garlic is to give the spice punch to the chutney. I personally felt ginger wouldn't go with cashews so I avoided it.
You can give variations to the chutney by adding coconut to it. I saw in the Internet that some people posted tomato & cashew nut chutney. Like this if you have your version of cashew nut chutney don't forget to share it with everyone.